09 November 2008

Pissed Off And Misunderstood Guys

I have this weird desire in video games and roleplaying games sometimes to play the villian whenever I'm given the choice. I don't know why, maybe its because being the good guy gets a little boring sometimes. When I play the good guy and I'm given a moral choice its always easy to pick the most right thing to do... in fact it feels a little bit predestined for your hero to pick the best option and forget whatever else you could do, and that gets boring. Now badguys, on the other hand, they have flexible morals, they can pick whatever means to suit their ends. It doesn't necessarily mean they are motivated by pure evil, or even prefer the evil way but sometimes that works best. They're dynamic and fun. Anyway, in my sdventures as an evil guy sometimes I feel like I still want to be the good guy and then I'll feel bad for my evil deeds. It's sort of provided me with this interesting insight into the psyche of the super villain, by playing one.
I could see them feeling like they are the victim getting back at society sometimes or that what they are doing is really a good thing, or a necessary thing. Another layer of regret they might feel is likd Mr Glass in Unbreakable, at the point where he says something to the effect of: "its important to know what you are[Bruce Willis] because then that tells me what I am[Sam Jackson." Right at the point where he says that if you look into his eyes you can see a veritable torrent of emotions going on right there.

There are varying motivations for supervillians like take Lex Luther for example, he's a prick he does what he needs to do to get the job done, or the King Pin. That doesn't mean they are unfeeling sonsabitches, they are just more flexible that way. This insight provides for interesting situtations to happen, like when the Spot almost sucked the entire earth into a black hole, and the king pin helped spider man to close it. Or like Mr freeze (from the cartoons is my primary reference) how he just loved his wife and she died and it's like a part of him has died. He must realize that in another time and place he wouldn't do the things he does because of how evil they are. But then there are supervillains like the joker, and they are motivated by the desire to cause chaos or just plain evilness, these guys I think are the hardcore supervillains. But they other guys, they are more like the outcasts of society and they are willing to abuse the establishment because of their position in life.
So all this talk about super villains is actually going somewhere. The song "Behind Blue Eyes," has convinced me that the Who were writing about supervillains, or just this certain type of badguy when they made this song. Here's the lyrics if you want to read them:

No one knows what it's like To be the bad man To be the sad man Behind blue eyes No one knows what it's like To be hated To be fated To telling only lies But my dreams They aren't as empty As my conscience seems to be I have hours, only lonely My love is vengeance That's never free No one knows what it's like To feel these feelings Like I do And I blame you No one bites back as hard On their anger None of my pain and woe Can show through But my dreams They aren't as empty As my conscience seems to be I have hours, only lonely My love is vengeance That's never free When my fist clenches, crack it open Before I use it and lose my cool When I smile, tell me some bad news Before I laugh and act like a fool If I swallow anything evil Put your finger down my throat If I shiver, please give me a blanket Keep me warm, let me wear your coat No one knows what it's like To be the bad man To be the sad man Behind blue eyes

Anyway I think it would be really sweet to make like a music video montage of this type of supervillain looking a little bit regretful as they are working on their doomsday device or something and singing this song as well. But they are still going to go through with that shit anyway because in their mind society made them go through with it. Ya it'd bewicked sweet.

Yahtzee had a similar idea that I thought was great here.

Anyway if anyone is interested in life for me this last little while, things are going good. I have this raging battle going on inside me with this desire to work hard or just play hard. Whenever I play hard I lose all motivationt to do schoolwork, its like I've fallen off the preverbial horse(maybe it a work horse) or something. I need the extended rest that is coming soon it will be good.

On halloween I went as a zombie, it was meh, but I was happy with it. The Howl for those who are familiar with it, was a huge skinfest, but at least there wasn't any alchohol running rampant so that was good, but I was too tired to party so I went home after a while and played resident evil 4, it just made sense to do that. I've been going out a bunch too and that feels good. I think I'm probably the most balanced I've been in a long time and it feels good.
Till next time.

4 comments:

CitizenPain said...

Nice zombie costume! Oh, and if you haven't already, you need to watch "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog." Dr. Horrible is a perfect example of what you're talking about here.
And Yahtzee nailed down everything I hate about Grand Theft Auto 4. Maybe I should try Saint's Row 2.

Neal said...

I think this post is more of a justification than explanation for your dirty deeds in video games. Deep down you know that you are truly a self-serving, ego-maniacal villain. And one day I will end you for that. The choice will be laid before me of letting you complete your world-ending doomsday tasks or to put my sword through your gullet.

I'm sorry Wong, but I need the world. It's where I keep all my stuff.

sorensenpower said...

I love playing video games as the bad guy. Just yesterday I sold 3 people as slaves in Fallout 3 and it made me feel like a million bucks. Then I planted a bomb next to a radioactive car so when these good guys (BOS) walked by they exploded into bits.

That's what makes video games so fun!

david santos said...

Excellent work!!!
Have a nice weekend!!!